Sefi Atta ; Biography, Career, books, Awards, and marital status
Sefi Atta Biography
Sefi Atta is a novelist, short story writer, playwright, and screenwriter who was born in Nigeria and raised in the United States. Born in the Nigerian city of Lagos in the year 1964. (58years ). She comes from a family of five children, including an older half-sister, a brother, and two younger sisters. Her father, Abdul Aziz, was a Northerner who served as Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Head of the Service on June 12, 1972, and her mother, Mrs. Iyabo Atta, was a Christian from the South.
They moved to a location near the Lagos Lagoon when her father died.
She went to Millfield School in England and Queens College in Lagos.
She went on to Birmingham University, where she earned a B.A. degree in 1985. She relocated to the United States in 1995 and is a trained chartered accountant in England and a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in the United States. In 2001, she earned a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) from Antioch University Los Angeles.
Sefi Atta Career
For the past ten years, Sefi Atta has worked as an accountant, including at Citibank in Lagos, Nigeria, and as a lecturer at Mississippi State University. Her first novel, Everything Goodwill Come, was released in 2005 and won the Wole Soyinka Prize for African Literature. Her radio plays have also been broadcast, and her stage plays have been performed and published.
Sefi Atta books
• Everything good will come (2005)
• Short Stories by 16 Nigerian women (2005)
• Swallow (2008)
• The Bead collector (2018)
• News from home(2009)
• It is my turn! Roman(2010)
• Sefi Atta: Selected play(2019)
• A Bit of difference ( 2012).
• Lawless and other stories
• The Bad immigrant.
• Renewal: An essay from the collection of this our country.
Sefi Atta Awards
• Macmillan Writers Prize for Africa ( 2002).
• BBC African Performance, 2nd prize ( 2002).
• Zoetrope Short Fiction contest, 3rd prize (2002).
• Fish International Short Story Competition, Finalist (2002).
• BBC Meridian Short Story competition, Finalist (2002).
• Commonwealth Short Story Competition, Commended (2003).
• Red Hen Press Short Story Award, 1st prize (2003).
• Glimmer Trains Very Short Fiction Award, Finalist (2003).
• Story South’s Millions Writer Award, Finalist (2004).
• BBC African Performance, 2nd prize (2004).
• Mississippi Arts Commission Grant (2004).
• Commonwealth Short Story Competition, Commended (2004).
• Independent Publishers Book Award, Finalist (2005).
• PEN International David TK Wong Prize, Ist Prize ( 2005).
• Caine Prize For African literature, shortlist (2006).
• Wole Soyinka Prize For Literature in Africa(2006).
• Noma Award for publishing in Africa(2009).
Sefi Atta Personal life.
Sefi Atta got married to Dr. Gboyega Ransome -Kuti, Son of Olikoye Ransome-Kuti, also a Nephew to Fela Kuti, Dr. Gboyega Ramsome Kuti is an internist in Meridian, Mississippi, and is affiliated with John C. Stennis Memorial Hospital the couple gave birth to only one daughter