Helon Habila is a Nigerian Novelist and poet who was born in November 1967(55years ) to a Christian Tangale family in Kaltugo, Gombe in the Northern middle belt of Nigeria. His father Habila Ngabalak was a preacher working with white missionaries before he became a civil servant with the ministry of work, His mother who is a tailor contributed to the income of the family.
Helon Kabila had his primary and secondary school education in the city of Gombe in 1984 before proceeding to the University of Jos where he studied English Language and literature.
Helon Kabila worked as a literature lecturer at the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi, Nigeria(1997-1999) before he moved to Lagos where he worked as a literary editor for Vanguard Newspaper, Lagos, Nigeria . in the year 2000 he published his first collection of the short story, Prison stories by Epik books. In 2002
He published a collection of stories titled “Love Poems”, which bought made him famous and move him on to the international level.
In 2001 he wrote his first novel ” Waiting for an angel” it was published in 2002 and won the Caine prize in 2001. “Waiting for an Angel has been translated into many languages including Dutch, Italian, Finnish, Swedish, and French.
He traveled to England in 2002, he became an African writing fellow at the University of East Angelia UK where enrolled as a Ph.D. candidate from 2002-2to 007. He was invited by Chinua Achebe in 2005 to become his first African fellow at Bard College, New York, after his fellowship. He took a job at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia.
He has written many novels and edited several anthologies. Helon Habila is also on the board of Africa Writers Trust, an organization started by Ugandan writer, Goretti Kyumuhendo to promote African writers and writing. He has also won numerous awards for his writing skills
* Helon habila Books
* Helon Habila Books
• Waiting on an Angel ( 2002)
• Oil on Water (2010)
• Measuring Time (2007)
• Travelers (2019)
• The Granta Book of the African Short story (2011)
• The Chibok Girls: The Boko Haram kidnappings and Islamic militant in Nigeria(2016)
• Prison Stories (2000)
• Dream, Miracles, and Jazz: New Adventures in African Fiction(2008)
•Coming to Lagos: An essay from the collection of our country (2021)
• Otobong Nkanga: from where I stand (2019)
• Travellers LIB/e: A Novel ( 2021)
* Award and Honour
• Music Society of Nigeria ( Muson)
National poetry award( 2000)
• Caine prize, ( Love poems) 2001
• Pen/ open Book Award (Shortlist 2013) Oil on Water
• Commonwealth Best book, Africa region( Shortlist 2012) Oil on water
• The Orion book Award( Shortlist, 2013) Oil on water
• Emily Clark Balch Prize( short story ) from Virginia Quarterly Review, “The Hotel Malolo
• The Virginia Library Foundation Prize For Fiction( 2008)
• Windham- Campbell Literature Prize( Fiction) 2015
• Grand prize of literary Associations ( Shortlisted 2019) The Travelers
• James Tait Black Memorial prize,( shortlist 2020) Travelers
* Personal life.
In 1986 he received the greatest shocking news of his life while living and reading at home his father and one of his younger brothers were killed in a Motor accident this event lead to him writing the Novel ” Waiting for an angel”.
Helon habila got married to Habila Susan and they give birth to three children,
Social Media influence
Facebook: Helon habila
Instagram: Helon habila@insntagram
Website : http://www.helonhabila.com/